How To Replace Your Front Door Locks
Many of us always wonder if we can replace a door lock and ask ourselves, “Do I need a locksmith to do this for me”? or “Can I do it myself”?
The importance of having to change a lock for your home is for safety reasons. It can be to keep previous tenants out or simply unwanted people from accessing your home and or property. Other reasons why we like to change the front door locks is if any part of the mechanism is broken or defective, it is best to replace it for a new one. It may sound hard to do, but it is an easy job. However, if you do not feel comfortable doing so you can always have a locksmith do it for you.
If you decide to do it yourself, you have to be sure to have the right tools to get the job done.
You will need a new door lock set, a screw driver or drill. When installing a new lock, it is an easy task that should only take you a few minutes. However, depending on how handy you are, it may take a bit longer than that.
The person that will be installing the locks must be sure to purchase the same brand of lock as the existing one. Just so that it fits into the same holes without having to do any alterations to the door.
How do you know what brand the lock is?
Many of the front door locks have it on the latch. You can always take out the old lock and bring it with you to the hardware store to ensure you are purchasing the right brand and style of lock.
What do you need to look out for when purchasing a new lock?
Every set will include the basic pieces: 2 door knobs, a latch piece which will be fixed onto the door, and a strike plate that will attach to the door frame. The set will have 2 long nails and 4 short nails. You also want to be sure to purchase the appropriate color.
Basic Steps to replacing the front door locks:
- Remove the screws from the old lock on the inside of the door (Be sure to use adequate tools to have them removed)
- Be sure that you have purchased the same brand as your old one so that it fits your door.
- Remove the screws that secure the latch on the edge of the door. Once they are unscrewed, slowly remove the latch from the opening in the side of the door.
- Put the new latch into place. Be sure to use all new screws included with your new lock set as the old ones may be old and weaker.
- Lastly, you will place the door lock together. Place the outside knob and the inside knob so they meet in the middle and connect. After that, you will drive the screws into the holes on the inside knob to finish putting the lock back together.
Once again, if you do not feel comfortable doing the replacing of your lock, you can always contact a local locksmith to do the job for you.